26 March 2011

Week 8 Sketch

Welcome to "Less is More" for the start of our new challenge.
What wonderful entries we had again last week. Even though we say it all the time, your comments blow us away and thank you so much for all the continued support.
Without you all visiting, entering and visiting each other, we wouldn't be where we are today...
proven by a few statistics!
We eagerly watch the Crafty Blogs [icon on sidebar] and we 'rose' to an amazing number 7 during the week. That is truly phenomenal!
On our very first week we had 167 entries and this has continued to grow and grow. The amount of comments you leave us is truly amazing and is what sets us apart from other challenge blogs we've come across. We also now have over 600 followers!
We both managed to still comment on all of you individually and will do as much as we can. Rest assured we will always both look at all entries even if you only get comments from one of us!
OK so onto this week,
 it's SKETCH week.


This was intended as a DL card, but although dimensions don't have to be exact, the proportions should be similar. (A tall thin card)
We have just learned from Lynne that DL stands for Double Length, so the card should have a height that is Double the Length of the width! Thanks Lynne.
You can interpret it however you wish but we do need to recognise the sketch and most of all your design must be clean & simple and most definitely
"Less is More"

And now onto our cards
Mandi first this week

Flowers are Stampin Up set Growing Green
stamped onto Pink Petticoat papers
Orchid pink and Pistachio and Fairy Dots [blk]
[With every pattern design you get the solid colour match too]
 Centre of green flower is black glittered and the 
gems are just stuck on the dot flower for a bit of interest
Font is Tall Paul















My little tut for this week is about matching a computer generated font to the colour in digi papers [or any scanned image in your computer files]
All digi papers are made up of a Red, Green and Blue colour palette,
so we need to determine what combination they are made of.
I do this using Paint as it's normally built into your computer.
On the start menu type Paint in the search box and open the program.
Then go to File 'top left hand side' A box appears select Open
From here you need to tell it where your particular paper is stored. Once you locate it, 
click Open and that paper will appear in the paint window
On the left hand side are 'tools' Select the little icon that looks like a pipette [3rd down on mine]
Click it onto the colour you want to match
Click Colors
Then Edit Colors [from a pop up box]
A box appears and click Define Custom Colors
There on the bottom right you will see, for instance
Red 231
Green 18
Blue 97
Make a note of these and you then change your font colour using these numbers.

This week I (Chrissie) have done 'his and hers' versions of the sketch.




Each card uses a heart from the Stampin' Up' I (Heart) Hearts' set of stamps and a background stamp also from Stampin' Up. The masculine version uses 'Friendly' and the female version 'En Francais'.

In both cases I have stamped the heart and then after cutting out, double embossed it with clear UTEE.

Each has a simple ribbon treatment.



The sentiment on the first card is from SU Vintage Vogue.





The sentiment on this card is a stamp from Penny Black.
The twiddly bit around this heart was made with a snipped up Martha Stewart border punch!





One of our community, Tara (Craftilicious) is starting a new Charity Challenge Blog with a DT selected from our number here at "Less is More"
This is what she writes...
  My father passed away 3 years ago from cancer was greatly supported by our local hospice, who I have been trying to support ever since through various crafting projects.  We have now started a crafting group at the hospice with the aim of coming up with craft-based projects to raise funds for them.  My first project is to start a charity challenge blog.  This will be a monthly competition to make a card and I am trying to encourage those who play along to post the physical card they make to the charities freepost address so we can have lots of lovely handmade cards to sell both in their shops and at crafting events we intend to put on throughout the year.
This challenge goes live on April 2nd and can be found here.
I'm sure lots of you would love to support this worthy venture!


We encountered many entries this last week, whose blogs still have Word Verification enabled. We would be really grateful if you could PLEASE TURN OFF WORD VERIFICATION , as it takes us so much longer to leave comments and we DO try our best to get round to everyone and with over 200 entries each week that's quite a lot of commenting!

We hope you enjoy the challenge this week and eagerly await your entries.

83 comments:

  1. Well done Chrissie and Mandi! You obviousy knew what the crafters needed when you started this challenge blog and your constructive comments keep us motivated and we are truly inspired by all the entries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks girlies, loving this sketch. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking good - can't wait to get started!

    Kathyk

    ReplyDelete
  4. fab sketch and managed to squeeze mine in whilst getting ready for my classes today!

    Great tut about matching colours - thanks Mandi.

    Love all three cards this week and Chrissie I think I prefer your male version, how odd considering how much I lurve pink?

    Mandi you've inspired me to do more with the Growing Green stamp set

    hugs
    Victoria
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great sketch - am going to use it to try and make a couple of mothers day cards today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another great challenge, I love your cards. thanks girls xx Jan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fab sketch girls and fabulous inspiration as always! Have a fabby Saturday

    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Liking the sketch so will go have a think, great inspiration girls.
    Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great Sketch - Can't wait to get started :O)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the sketch, it gives me new inspiration to work with less is more.
    have a fine weekend
    Gr. Marja

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great cards again girls,loving the pink one with the heart esp. Looking at the sketch now and trying to see if inspiration will strike , thanks again for another great challenge:O) Viv xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. fab cards from you both - and another great challenge - thanks x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Another great challenge and I have uploaded my card. Thanks............x Maureen............x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Another great challenge girls
    I'm not a sketch lover but I like this one and I'm planing to have a shot at it
    Hope you both have a great weekend
    Hugs Susie Sugar xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. There is another alternative to Paint, which is a more powerful application. That is My Craft Studio Professional, which allows you to match perfectly any of your text to any part you choose of your computer generated background or images. I often find the perfect match is a touch too light in tone, but I can still go into the program and manually lift the font a little and get exactly the effect I need. I have watched your site for a while now and I am very tempted to have a go. I like clean simple cards.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I agree Maggie
    I just opted for Paint, as i stated in my post, as its generally built into the computer, rather than explain something that is a separate purchase and people may not have
    Thanks for mentioning though
    mandi

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh Chrissie I love your his/her cards!!
    And Mandi ... it's lovely to create the flowers on a dark cardstock ... that's it!

    Thanks for great inspirations
    hugs,Beate

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great sketch ladies with all three interesting cards.....thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  19. great sketch and lovely examples! i don't often make tall cards... maybe i will have to give it a go this time!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely cards as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Another fun challenge ladies and super examples to get us in the mood.

    ReplyDelete
  22. another fab challenge girls .. cant wait to make a card
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Fabulous DT cards girls, as always, and a brilliant sketch this week.
    Lynne xxx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Well done again, brilliant sketch, lovely challenge and your cards are a delight! Many Thanks :0) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  25. Another great challenge ladies (I've never done a sketch before). x

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great sketch! I don't usually make DL cards so it's good to be challenged to do one!

    Love both of your cards, Chrissie and Mandi! Thanks for another great challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I like this sketch - I've been out all morning - so I'll see if I can get something up later today.

    Thanks to both of you for coming up with such a brilliant challenge!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I really enjoy your blog and is on the challenge for the first time!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great sketch girls. Must have a go. Haven't made a DL card for a long time so it would be good to do something different. Thanks for the inspiration and encouragement.

    Kat xx

    ReplyDelete
  30. I just wanted to say although I cannot always join in the challenges I love seeing everyones makes and to thank you for providing great challenges. Annette x

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thanks for great sketch! Love your cards!!
    I´ve added mine!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thanks so much for a great challenge. This is my first time playing along with you and I had a ball!

    Karen
    x

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi ya girlies,fabulous cards as always, im still tryin for an A+! lol, sue,x

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi
    Fab cards from Chrissie and Mandi....another good Challenge although i am still a bit nervous of it ....Lol....
    Gorgeous entries...
    hugs
    sylvie
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  35. Great sketch...so many possibilities...and I learned what a DL card is...all around fab challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Wonderfull cards thanks for sharing and i love the sketch Luv Sue x

    ReplyDelete
  37. Great sketch and my first at a DL card.

    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  38. Great samples and great sketch, one I'll probably use again and again.
    Lynne x

    ReplyDelete
  39. Thanks for another fun challenge , think I will use this skecth to get some xmas cards under way sorry for using that word but have 400 to do so thought a few clean and simple ones would get the job done a bit quicker lol.
    Just love this blog!!!
    Nicky

    ReplyDelete
  40. A great sketch - still took me ages to decide what to use and to put it together!!

    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  41. Thanks so much for pushing me to test myself with this sketch. I like clean fresh cards, but this took a lot more thought to use the different shape and the basic sketch to create something I was happy with. It made me really go hunting and using things I have not had out for a while. There are some really beautiful cards already entered.

    ReplyDelete
  42. There are a lot of challenge sites out there but none give me the pleasure that this one does! Thanks to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Great examples which have inspired me as always ...thank you .

    ReplyDelete
  44. Finally made it...wow I forgot how much fun CAS cards were to make. Thanks for reminding me..

    Bunches of Hugs, Marjo

    ReplyDelete
  45. Morning ladies, super cards for our inspiration and congrats on your achievements so far - great stats! ikki

    ReplyDelete
  46. Thanks for another challenge and for the inspiration. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  47. Fantastic challenge blog, superb sketch and such inspiring inspiration!! And all the projects being linked in are just fantastic, well done everyone!!

    ReplyDelete
  48. A great sketch-really inspired me!
    I just LOVE these challenges!
    p.s. my comment moderation is now switched off-my apologies!-didn't know it was on!)

    ReplyDelete
  49. Oooooo just found this site, great cards everyone and I love clean and simple so must have a go sometime. thanks x

    ReplyDelete
  50. Another great challenge and seemed strange to add paper this week.

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  51. Fab interpretations as always and thanks for the PAINT instructions - so helpful

    ReplyDelete
  52. I don't normally do sketches but this one I could not pass up on, here is hoping I manage to get all of April's challenges done!

    ReplyDelete
  53. Thank You!
    Nice sketch! Hope my card is OK!

    ReplyDelete
  54. Beautiful cards and a fab sketch.

    Babs x

    ReplyDelete
  55. WOW your site is amazing, I love the sketch and the DT cards and WOW to all your amazing followers and their stunning cards. Really loving this style, so glad I found you :)

    ReplyDelete
  56. Another excellent challenge again this week Ladies . Your example cards are fab as always. Might have to be more than one go for me this week....lovin the sketch!
    Kerry x

    ReplyDelete
  57. Tks so much for stopping by every week to comment on our work! Really appreciate it!
    Hmmm...this is def a challenge! Long card, sketch, CAS, ....oh well! What is life without challenges! :)

    ReplyDelete
  58. fantastic challenge blog ladies..well done.. i love it..so inspiring..this is my first time in joining in..hopefully i will be able to make it most weeks..thank you :)
    hugs
    Michelle x

    ReplyDelete
  59. Hi
    Another card for this weeks Challenge ...some gorgeous Entries ...Wow!!!!
    Hugs
    sylvie
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  60. Fantastic cards just luv working with sketches and this one is brill Luv Sue x

    ReplyDelete
  61. I love sketches, this one is great. I entered my link but my thumnail isn't showing although it does link to the correct post, I tried to re do it but the link thinghy won't let me!
    Donna (Toulouse31):-)

    ReplyDelete
  62. Congratulations ladies on your continued success, your challenge site has certainly become quite unique, the lovely support and friendly comments I have received is a testament
    to the community you have created. I love the challenges (even one layer week and sketch week, both can give me problems) but just as much I have loved seeing what everyone creates and being apart of it....THANK YOU!
    Diane x

    ReplyDelete
  63. I'm back for another go, hope I managed first time, this time. Hugs lin

    ReplyDelete
  64. Some amazing entries this week ladies. Thanks again for another 'challenge':-)

    ReplyDelete
  65. Lovely sketch, just what I needed for a CAS thank you card! Great timing! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  66. A lovely sketch and fab inspiration from both of you, many thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  67. Hi Chrissie and Mandi - wow another busy week for you ladies on commenting! Love, love, love your DT cards again and so pleased for you both that this challenge is proving to be so very popular - I love joining in!

    Take care

    Tina
    X

    ReplyDelete
  68. Great sketch, thanks! Your samples are great and again it's lovely to see such different approaches from the two of you!

    ReplyDelete
  69. Fabulous sketch and stunning samples for inspiration....

    Jenny xx

    ReplyDelete
  70. had to miss last weeks challenge, due to work commitments, so couldnt wait to do this one! Great to see so many wonderful cards, just wish I had time to leave comments for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  71. Hi Ladies,
    Great challenge this week but have to say how shocked I was to see how many didn't know what a DL card was.

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  72. I have been so inspired by this week's sketch, and am so happy to have managed to play along finally! I can't seem to stop making cards with this sketch - I think it will quickly become a "go to" sketch for me - so many possibilities! And thanks everyone for all your encouraging comments!
    Cheers,
    Shanna :)

    ReplyDelete
  73. So sorry about my card being on its side but cannot do anything about it. Picasa is having a hissy fit I think. Trouble is my IT expert is in London.
    Hugs
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  74. another great challenge girls...skidding in by the seat of my pant this week..hugs kath xxx

    ReplyDelete
  75. Hi girls....thanks for another fabby challenge,just about made it and sorry i missed last week :0(.

    Take care
    San x

    ReplyDelete
  76. I have been looking for a while and today with mojo gone I turned to your sketch loved the challenge and sketch just added my link... loved the cards from the DT great inspiration thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  77. can't wait for the next one :O) THANKS DT

    ReplyDelete
  78. Wow! Over 250 fab entries this week! I have tried to get round them myself, and have managed to do a fair few, but I am so busy I can't possibly look at them all! I don't know how you do it Chrissie and Mandi...well done! :)
    Lizy x

    ReplyDelete
  79. Thanks Lizy
    Won't say it;s easy, but, we both feel it;s the least we can do to visit everyone when they have taken the trouble to enter our challenge

    mandi

    ReplyDelete
  80. Fab blog and I've submitted my card. Harder than you think but great fun.

    ReplyDelete
  81. I'm late as usual. Its a wonderful Sketch ladies. Thank you for hosting a challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  82. whoops, I forgot to load up my card this morning but I still wanted to share.

    http://kreativekristie.blogspot.com/2011/04/less-is-more-easter-for-papercutz-85.html

    ReplyDelete
  83. Well I missed the boat this week - not had time to craft much at all but I have been checking out the other submissions (thats probably where I'm going wrong but I love to see what other people have made and get inspiration)
    Thanks girls for such a brilliant challenge blog - its popularity proves how much its appreciated.

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE NOTE: SPAM COMMENTS WILL NEVER BE PUBLISHED!

Thank you for your support and encouraging messages. We love to see you on our personal blogs too.

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) by commenting you do so in the knowledge that your name and comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.